Because I Had A Decent Bo Jackson Year [Top 5 Top 5 Sunday]
As the sun sets on the 34th year of my life, I gotta say I’m a little surprised. I was convinced that I peaked at 25 but I guess it’s never too late to change. My life now is a lot different than it was a year ago. I’m working more hours but feeling less overworked. I’ve given myself the bedtime of a responsible adult. I’m more mentally stable than I have been in ages. I also ate a lot of sandwiches. And made a lot of lists. So here’s some lists of lists about sandwiches and other things about my Bo Jackson Year.
5) Top 5 Worst Decisions I Made In My Bo Jackson Year
5) Not keeping up with people I care about, despite the fact that they don’t keep up on me
4) Eating an edible when I was already feeling weird
3) Following the GPS up 8th Avenue, despite my instincts telling me not to
2) Ordering the French Dip Burger
1) Eating a carrot that eventually cost me $3,000
I had to try really fucking hard to find 5 dumb things that I did. This might’ve been one of the tamest/luckiest years I’ve ever had. I don’t even think I pissed Rachel off (too many times)! But yeah, eating a carrot that sent me to the hospital was a really dumb idea, one that I’m literally still paying for today. That’s what I get for wanting some extra vitamin A…
4) Top 5 Best Sandwiches I Had In My Bo Jackson Year
5) Bacon, egg & Pepper Jack on an Egg Everything Bagel
4) Meatballs, vodka sauce and mozzarella on a sub
3) Eggs, bacon, cheddar and hash browns on a sub
2) Hot Gabagool and sharp provolone on a hoagie
1) Prosciutto, mozzarella and olive oil on a hoagie
I think if I were to make this list every year, which I probably have, number one would always be the same. Somehow, some way, I have a prosciutto sando that stands out from all the rest.
3) Top 5 Baseball Players That Should Represent My Next Year
5) Rickey Henderson
4) Mike Mussina
3) Justin Verlander
2) Phil Neikro
1) Frank Thomas
I really wanted to go with Phil Neikro, but it would sound really weird calling it, “My Neikro Year”. I feel like that could easily be misunderstood. I’ll just leave it at that.
2) Top 5 Reasons To Be Proud Of My Bo Jackson Year
5) I went to 30 baseball games (including 1 that I worked at) and 9 wrestling shows
4) I took a step back from a job that was driving me insane
3) I wrote approximately 213 times
2) I acknowledged that I hit rock bottom and took the steps to get the help I needed
1) I bet on myself
It’s hard to see growth when you’re living in your own body day in and day out. But if I were to objectively look at my life now compared to where I was a year ago, I’d be ecstatic about all of the changes that happened. After the pandemic year, I went out of my way to go to as many things as humanly possible and didn’t break the bank doing so. I only work at the store 2 days a week. I talk to a therapist weekly and although my panic issues are still there, I have the tools to manage them better. I somehow stayed married to the most wonderful woman in the world and she’s somehow still obsessed with me. And after a decade of complaining about not knowing how to start, I finally started working in television. When Bo Jackson was 34, he didn’t do shit. He just sat at home and had a shoe named after him. I somehow had a better year than Bo Jackson! That’s what’s up!
1) Top 5 New Pictures In My Camera Roll
It doesn’t matter how old I get, I’m never going to stop being infinitely amused by Willy’s expression when he pokes his head out of the litter box. It doesn’t matter how bad of a day I’m having, that literal shit always cheers me up. Just look at him. Such concentration and relief. As I go into my Frank Thomas Year, I hope I can still laugh at stupid things like this. I’m sure that won’t be a problem.
Have a relieving week, everybody!