Day 205: Because This Commute Is Too Damn Long [Top 5 Top 5 Sunday]
It happened already. Didn’t take long at all. After 2 months of living off the N line, we are officially stuck in the vicious web of Planned Service Changes. In order to get to work, I now have to take two stops backwards to transfer to a train that runs “express”. A common misnomer is that “express” means “fast”. That’s a bald faced lie. Instead, the train just sits on the middle track while 50 union workers gather around one person or machine, preventing the train from moving until everyone knows for sure that it’s safe. My commute has jumped from 28 minutes to 73. So while I wait and continue to be baffled at how many MTA workers don’t even own a mask, I might as well write out some lists.
5) Top 5 Places That I’d Rather Be Right Now
5) In bed
4) On a train that’s running normal
3) In the car, sans traffic and rain
2) At a baseball game
1) Home, in general
Traffic is so bad in the city this weekend that yesterday it was actually quicker for me to take a train. The 24 minute drive jumped to 110. Not to mention the time it would take to find parking. God, I truly hate weekends.
4) Top 5 Moments From Wrestlemania Night One
5) Lashers somehow retaining the title
4) The Rollins-Cesaro match
3) The rain delay giving me time to finish work and get home before I missed anything
2) Bad Bunny
1) Sasha-Bianca in the main event
I’ve already watched the main event twice. I cried both times. Just such a wonderful moment for them and for wrestling. In fact, it transcended wrestling. It was a good moment in human history.
3) Top 5 Train Announcements I Don’t Want To Hear
5) “We’re being held in the station by the trains dispatcher”
4) “Due to a sick passenger, _______”
3) “Bdogotneusidoofkrnsgsgwyjekrk spdofnrbsns difnejsodockeospsp”
2) “This is 161st Street, Yankee Stadium”
1) “We’re being held momentarily due to train traffic ahead of us. Thank you for your patience”
Nine times out of ten, when they say there’s train traffic ahead, I was already waiting over 10 minutes for that train. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve screamed aloud “what train traffic?!? They’re running 20 minute headway’s!!!”
2) Top 5 Things I’m Looking Forward To This Week
5) Slightly warmer weather
4) Drinking a cold beer
3) Wrestlemania Night Two, I guess
2) Eating a sandwich
1) Finally going to a baseball game with Rachel as a married couple
Remember kids: it’s not about the destination. It’s about the sandwiches you eat along the way.
1) Top 5 New Pictures In My Camera Roll
The whole angle of Eloy Jiminez being dead is just kinda awkward. But I love that he’s haunting the White Sox outfield, for better or worse.
Have a spooky week, everybody!